Today I want to introduce you to my first guest blogger! And this special guest poster also happens to be the grandmother to the 2 Little Superheroes. Yup it’s my mother!
It’s actually very appropriate to have my mom as my first guest poster. Since she is probably the craftiest person I know. She can sew, knit and use any carpentry tool out there.
A Big Superhero Welcome to Sue!
Hi! I’m Danielle’s mom and I’m very excited to be posting my granddaughters play kitchen tutorial with you today. While building this kitchen I didn’t expect to be asked to post about it so I unfortunately didn’t take many ‘during’ pictures. But don’t worry I still have a great before and after picture and that’s all that anyone really wants to see anyways, right?
- ugly bedside tables on Kijiji for $10 (Kijiji is the equivalent of Craig’s List in Canada)
- faucet on Kijiji $10
- 1 piece of MDF 1/4″ the sheet was $9.00 and I only used half of it
- leftover paint
- 4 knobs $4.00 from Wal-Mart
- scrap metal for oven rack (friend cut for me) so was free
- Varathane (already owned)
- fabric for curtain (already owned)
- bowl from the dollar store $1
- drawer slider
- table saw
- finishing nails
- wood glue
- 2 hinges
Total Spent $34
I started with these 2 side tables I found on Kijiji for $10. They were the perfect size and price.
I measured the back of the cabinets and added an extra 2″ at the top (for the back splash). Used my table saw to cut the two pieces and used wood glue and finishing nails to attach to the back of each cabinet (remember there will be an extra 2″ at the top for the back splash).
I was going to remove the drawers and put in shelves but decided the drawers would be better for storing toy food and dishes (plus it would be less work).
For the sink curtain I simply cut out a piece of scrap fabric, sewed a piece of Velcro to the top and then used the self adhesive Velcro to stick to the side of the kitchen cabinet.
For the sink I used a jigsaw to cut a hole big enough for the bowl to fit in. And for the faucet I drilled 2 holes through the top and screwed the faucet in from the bottom.
For the stove burners I just painted 4 circles on the top with some black paint.
For the oven rack I found a scrap piece of metal and had a friend cut it for me. I built a wooden frame around it, to protect little fingers. I attached the oven rack to a drawer slider I found at Home Depot. So the oven rack can easily slide in and out. I wanted to make it as realistic as possible.
I painted the cabinets with some extra paint I had and then Varathaned it, I knew it would have to stand up to kids. So the Varathane will just help prevent scratches and chipping paint.
Overall I’m happy with how it turned out. I was trying to keep this project as inexpensive as possible. So the one big challenge was sourcing materials for free or as close to free as possible.
Of course my granddaughter loves it so it was all worth it!