Thank you Country Crock for sponsoring this post.
Looking for a super easy vegetable side dish that can be prepared ahead of time and then popped into the oven right before dinner? I know I always am.
I get in such a dinner rut and find myself cooking the same vegetable side dishes day after day.
Dinner gets boring.
And since I’m not the biggest vegetable fan I’m always looking for great recipes that convince me that vegetables aren’t all that bad.
This green bean casserole recipe is one of my favourites.
I love it because I can prepare it when my youngest son is napping. Right before dinner I can just pop it in the oven. I try to do all my dinner prep during nap time, since that hour or two right before dinner is always so crazy in my house.
Green beans (trimmed), Country Crock butter, walnuts, shallots, french fried onions, garlic, salt & pepper.
Thinly slice two shallots (I only used one here, since the one I had just bought was rotten -and I was not about to head back to the grocery store with both the kids).
Add 3 tBsp Country Crock butter and 1 tBsp olive oil to frying pan.
Add shallots to the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Add walnuts and garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Using a paper towel add a small amount of Country Crock butter to grease the bottom and sides of your casserole dish.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup of french fried onions over the top along with 1 tBsp Country Crock butter.
Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- 1 Package frozen green beans (trimmed)
- 2 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 5 tBsp Country Crock butter
- 1/2 cup french fried onions
- salt & pepper
- Cook green beans according to directions on package, or if cooking fresh cook for 5-7 minutes in boiling water and drain.
- Add 3 tBsp Country Crock butter and 1 tBsp olive oil to frying pan. Add shallots and cook for 3 minutes. Add chopped walnuts and garlic. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes on low.
- Butter casserole dish. Add cooked green beans & shallot and walnut mixture to casserole dish.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper to green beans. Stir to combine.
- Cover with 1/4 cup french fried onions. Add 1 tBsp of Country Crock butter to top.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot
Share a photo of your favorite casserole, and share in 100 words how you demonstrate creativity and resourcefulness in the kitchen. 3 finalists will win $5,000 and a trip for 2 to New York City & 12 semi-finalists will win cookware. You can enter at Country Crock.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective, and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.