Something much sturdier is needed for this child.
Blogland is full of galvanized pipe curtain rods (mainly outdoor porch curtains), but I kind of love them for kids rooms. Plus it’s a much cheaper alternative to a long window.
I thought this was going to be a pretty easy project but I ended up running into a few hiccups along the way. Read about my mistakes, and learn from my frustrations.
First you need to head to the nearest hardware store plumbing section…
You’re thinking how am I ever going to find the pieces I need. Well don’t take the kids with you. You would think I would know that by now.
It does take a few minutes to find the correct pieces. The big thing is just to make sure you get all the same openings. My metal conduit pipe was 1/2 ” thickness so all the openings needed to be 1/2″ too. Make sense?
- 2- floor flange with 1/2″ opening (3 if you have a longer window and want to do a center support). These are $10 each at the store so I bought a pack of 5 for $10 on Amazon, you can find them here)
- 2- 2″ nipple with 1/2″ opening (3 if using a center support)
- 1/2″ metal conduit pipe cut and threaded to desired size (cut 2 if using center support)
- 2- elbow brackets with 1/2″ opening
- 1- t-bracket with 1/2″ opening (will only need if using center support)
- curtain rings (found mine at Target)
After 5 trips to 5 different hardware stores I was beginning to think the project would never happen. According to the staff, the cutting machines are always broken. Hopefully you’ll have better luck than I did and find a Lowes or Home Depot with a working thread cutter.
But you should be able to have the store cut down and thread your metal conduit pipe for you.
Not sure the best way to do this, but I put the whole curtain rod together first and then screwed it to the wall.
Be sure to add your curtain clips to the curtain rod before you put it all together. I forgot and had to unscrew it from the wall to add the curtain rings on. Seriously annoying.
This is where I ran into some trouble. One of the threaded ends of the pipe just would not attach to the elbow piece (I don’t think it was threaded properly at the store). I had to use wrench to tighten it and get the floor flange in the direction I wanted.
For the curtains I already had these tan coloured blackout curtains that I bought on Overstock. Not really sure what I was thinking when I bought them. They are about as boring and ugly as curtains get. But for blackout curtains they were cheap. And I had an infant who refused to sleep at the time.
Anyways I don’t really like floor length curtains for kids rooms so I just hung them up and cut them below the window sill. After that I added a band of that dog fabric that I found on fabric.com. (At the time of posting fabric.com only had it available in pink but maybe they’ll get more colours in again.)
Easy way to add some character to some boring curtains that I was tempted to throw out. Now they are perfect for my dog loving toddler.