I can not get 7 home cooked meals on the table each week. It’s just simply impossible.
So this is my solution.
Make 6 (number depending on participants) of the exact same freezer meal and then exchange with 5 friends. Go home with 6 (including one of your own) home cooked freezer meals. Amazing right.
My brilliant friend Elizabeth came up with this meal exchange idea. And we’ve been doing it every month or so with our playgroup.
This week I’m exchanging meals with some mom’s from my sons preschool class. This could easily work with co-workers, neighbours, classmates or any other desperate people looking for meal ideas (so everyone).
We have found that it works best with no more than 7 participants. You don’t want it to become too overwhelming to prepare the meals, plus not everyone has tons of freezer storage space to store all those meals.
For this meal exchange I made Mexican Cilantro Chicken which can be used in tacos, enchiladas, or quesadilla’s. I prepared my 6 meals, added cooking directions and a list of ingredients to the outside of each bag and laid them flat on a cookie sheet to freeze in my freezer.
- For Each Bag:
- 1 16oz tin of diced tomatoes
- handful of cilantro
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1.5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can of black beans
- handful of cilantro
- In food processor blend together onion, can diced tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin and salt. Blend until it forms a salsa consistency.
- Add 1.5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, salsa made above, frozen corn, black beans, and cilantro.
- Lay flat on cookie sheet to freeze.
- Cooking Directions: Cook on low for 6-8 hours in a crockpot until the chicken can be shred.
- This can now be used in enchiladas, tacos, fajitas, quesadilla, or served over rice.
Simply pack up your meals in a cooler, find a place to meet, and leave with your cooler full of 6 seperate meals (one meal will be one of the ones that you made).
This week my family will be eating lasagna, pulled pork, four cheese pasta with a broccoli side dish, chili, and cilantro chicken enchiladas. And the only thing I had to prepare were the enchiladas. Pretty good right!